Getting rid of fat and losing weight can be difficult. Exercising is essential, but what you eat also plays a major role. Your body burns more calories and fat when you consume certain foods that boost your metabolism.
- Leafy greens – Leafy green vegetables like spinach, kale, collards, and chard are low in calories and carbohydrates, yet packed with fiber. Eating more fiber helps keep you feeling full and satisfied, slowing the emptying of your stomach to curb appetite. Leafy greens also contain calcium, which was shown in studies to increase fat burn by as much as 30%!
- Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid, which has been shown to help regulate blood sugar spikes that result in fat storage. Studies show that consuming apple cider vinegar increases fat-burning and promotes weight loss. Try mixing 2 tsp into a glass of water and drinking before meals.
- Green tea – Green tea is packed with antioxidants called catechins including the potent EGCG. Studies show green tea boosts metabolism and increases fat burning, helpful for stubborn belly fat. Drink 2-3 cups per day for optimal benefits.
- Salmon – Salmon is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which help reduce inflammation in the body and turn on fat-burning hormones. Salmon also contains astaxanthin, a natural compound that ramps up metabolism. Eat salmon twice a week as a healthy food.
- Eggs – Eggs contain leucine, an amino acid that helps turn on muscle protein synthesis and torch fat. They’re also full of choline to help transport fat out of the body. Studies show people eating eggs for breakfast lose 65% more weight!
- Oatmeal – Oats are a perfect complex carb that digests slowly to keep you feeling energized and full. The beta-glucan fiber in oatmeal helps lower cholesterol by binding to bile acids and shutting them out of the body. Start your day with oatmeal and fruit for a fat-fighting breakfast.
- Avocados – Though high in fat, avocados are loaded with healthy monounsaturated fats our bodies love to burn for energy. They also contain fiber and antioxidants including lutein, which helps reduce inflammation. Add some avocado to your salad for a fat-burning boost.
- Chili peppers – Chili peppers contain capsaicin, the compound that makes them spicy and heats your metabolism. Studies show capsaicin increases fat burn by boosting thermogenesis and calorie expenditure after meals. Add cayenne or chili powder to your meals to turn up the heat!
- Walnuts – Walnuts are a great source of alpha-linolenic acid, a type of healthy omega-3 fat that helps promote fat burning. Walnuts also contain polyphenols that help reduce belly fat. Add walnuts to yogurt or salad for a crunch.
- Berries – Berries like strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are loaded with antioxidants including anthocyanins, which help reduce inflammation and improve fat burning. Berries make the best fat burner snack or dessert!
Making small tweaks to your diet by adding these metabolic-boosting superfoods makes a major difference in your weight loss and fat-burning results.